Friday, 30 June 2000

Freewheeler / Joseph's Well, Leeds

A few days after watching Radiohead tribute band No Surprises at the Well, I returned with Spenner to watch our mate Jamie's band, Freewheeler. Jamie played guitar in my first band, Carenza, and had formed his own band, Cloudburst, after I left to concentrate all my energies on Novacain. I'd seen Cloudburst a few times at the Duchess in '99, including one occasion where we stopped off to see them on the way home from practice and Jamie snapped a string in the middle of a song. Because he didn't have a spare guitar I dashed out to Leigh's car to get my Les Paul for him to borrow. The reason I remember this is because Jamie wasn't particularly grateful. Good times.

By mid-2000 Cloudburst had a batch of new songs, including the ace "Time Of Our Lives", and had decided to change their name. I think this show was their first as Freewheeler, and also their first gig at Joseph's Well.

I'd not been feeling great during the day so I was late getting to the Well and missed the supports. Freewheeler played a decent set but I was still feeling crappy so was a bit distracted. I chatted a bit to Jamie and got drawn into a stupid bragathon about what our respective bands were up to and how we were thisfreakinclose to being the next Oasis/Beatles/Led Zeppelin.

Although I felt a bit better towards the end of the night I was wiped out from feeling ill earlier and ended up leaving early. I didn't know it at the time but, what I thought was a mild bug or hangover, would turn out to be a crippling illness that largely kept me in bed for the next few months and caused my summer to be a total write-off. Which was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment