Seeing Ben Folds Five in May at the start of their '...Reinhold Messner' tour was one of the highlights of my first year at uni. When I found out they were playing Leeds when the tour came back to the UK at the end of the year, I jumped at the chance to see them again.
The show was good, but it didn't come close to matching the Manchester performance. For a start a lot of my flatmates had already left for Christmas so there weren't as many people to share the experience with. And because the gig was down the road and we'd seen the band before, it felt less like An Event and more like justanothergig. We turned up quite late as a result and missed the support act. It was still a really decent gig though, and I remember "Magic" in particular being ace. I'd listened to the song on repeat earlier in the year as I wallowed in self-pity after some heartbreak or other. Chris, whose room was underneath mine, tolerated this for about an hour before asking if I could turn my stereo down. I plugged the headphones into my portable MiniDisc player and listened on repeat for a further two hours. OMG.


No comments:
Post a Comment