Regardless of one’s views on Ver Leppard, £16 for a stadium show seems pretty nuts eh? You wouldn't have much change out of £50 these days. Anyways, this was another hangover from my ‘Soft Rock’ period of a few years earlier. My mate Jamie’s girlfriend said she was only there to see Terrorvision. We all seemed a bit embarrassed really. In that stupid ‘I don’t want to be seen to be enjoying the wrong thing’ teenage way. Fools.
The gig was another Cavendish Travel, ‘ticket + coach’, job. We got there early (obvs), and found our seats in row Z, right at the top of the seats furthest away from the stage at the back. I do not like heights. It was HIGH.
Terrorvision were touring the underrated ‘Regular Urban Survivors’ and put on a pretty decent show as openers. “Perserverance” remains a REET TUNE to this day. My band supported singer Tony Wright’s next band, Laika Dog, at the Cockpit around ten years after I saw them at the Nynex. Was strange to be drinking beers in a dank backstage room with a guy I’d seen play to 20,000 people. But I digress…
Def Leppard were fun and wielded all THE HITS, like a huge FM rock sledge hammer. If you don’t like “Pour Some Sugar On Me” then you don’t like life.
Key things I learnt from Ver Leppard’s performance:
- Joe Elliott has lovely hair, and it was how I wanted my hair, but I couldn’t seem to get my hair to stop scrambling about and, and, and… Hair.
- Jackson super strats are bab.
- Shorts should not be worn on stage.
- Fireworks and big cymbal hits go together like a fish and the chips.
- Silly songs, featuring single-entendres and lots of guitar solos, played by people who don’t take themselves seriously, can be ALL THE FUN in a stadium setting. Even when you’re in row Z.



No comments:
Post a Comment